Friday, September 14, 2007

Sigh....cheaters....how depressing

OK OK....I need some diversity on this blog, I know. But I've come to realize that my thoughts/emotions seem to be inextricably tied to this Patriots team. I realized it last year after the AFC Championship game loss when the Wacky ChinaLady and I stayed silent for an hour after the game ended....and then I had trouble sleeping that night.

Unhealthy? Probably. Someday, I'll be fanatic about something else...but today....

Wacky Chinamate is terribly upset by the revelation that the Patriots broke the rules. Things are black and white with her--and breaking the rules is not easily forgiven in her eyes. She doesn't want to think that all the joy she's gotten out of rooting for the Patriots the past 5 years may be tainted by the fact that the Patriots were willing to break the rules to win.

After digesting the allegations for a few days, I find it hard to disagree with her. Looking back, I'm shocked that I didn't consider the ramifications of this incident. Before, I was disappointed with the team for breaking a rule (even though I still think everyone is overreacting---more on this later). But now I'm just angry that they gambled away their credibility and opened themselves up to speculation that their success is tainted.

The worst part about the whole thing isn't that they broke the rules--it's that they revealed to everyone that they are not above doing so. The Pats have cultivated an image of doing things the right way: winning through teamwork, self-sacrifice, dedication, and hard work. Patriots owner Bob Kraft has often prided himself on being unwilling to sacrifice character for the sake of winning, and when you examine the Patriots roster, you tend to find players who don't often have run-ins with the law, get caught in compromising situations at late night clubs, or make poor, high-profile decisions in their personal lives. This squeaky-clean image has now taken a hit, and for those who bought into it (like Wacky Chinawife), it can be devastating. I don't know for sure yet, but I think that for a little while, watching Patriots games is going to be a little less rewarding for me. On the plus side, maybe I'll deal with the losses better. Eh, probably not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home