Sunday, December 17, 2006

Why the offensive name?

So why do I call myself the Wacky Chinaman? I guess I don't really know. I came up with the username so that I could post sarcastic comments on my friends' blogs, and people would be like "what kind of a name is that?" Then when I started my own blog, I thought about changing the name, but my friends thought it was amusing enough to keep.

So there you have it. Yes, I'm aware that the term "chinaman" isn't as acceptable today as it was in say, the 1930s, but to me this is one of those words that isn't that harmful, because most people aren't really aware that it's really offensive. Kind of like the term "Oriental", which you can use to describe a cuisine or a rug, but not a person; I never knew it wasn't politically correct until one of my Anglo-Saxon friends chastised me for using it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home